Last night I tried a new recipe for a noodle bowl and it is a keeper. Like many recipes, I find the idea and then make it my own by changing to whole grain foods, natural sweeteners and unprocessed ingredients. This is wonderful stir fried the second day as well. I added 1/2 cup of cooked great northern beans for 1 serving to make a complete meal! Easy, yummy, and gluten and dairy free as well.
Many countries serve this kind of dish on the street, hence the name.
Watch for this recipe in my upcoming book on Lunches and Munches for Kids…..
Rice Noodle Street Food
8 ozs. Brown rice vermicelli
½ cup pure water
1 tsp. vegetable seasoning (homemade is great)
3 tbsp. Braggs Vegetable Seasoning Liquid
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. raw blue agave
2 tbsp. coconut oil
½ lb. shitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
½ small onion, thinly sliced
4 cups Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. curry powder
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Pour boiling water over noodles and let soak for 15 minutes.
2. To make sauce, whisk together the 1/2 cup water, vegetable seasoning, Braggs, vinegar, and agave and set aside.
3. In wok or large cast fry pan, heat coconut oil to medium heat.
4. Add mushrooms, peppers, onion, and stir fry 2 to 3 minutes until vegetables are softened.
5. Add cabbage, garlic and curry powder and stir fry 2 more minutes.
6. Add sauce mixture and stir to combine.
7. Add drained noodles and stir to combine, continuing to stir until noodles are heated through and have absorbed some of the sauce.
8. Place in serving bowl and sprinkle with green onions.
Paulette Millis RHN, RSW
Author and Speaker