It’s time to get back to work! We’ve had a lovely summer, so let’s get serious with our nutrition for the upcoming year. I for one feel inspired to begin a program of fall cleansing – really just getting back to basics, being more routine with meals and snacks, and putting into my diet routine some new ideas for tasty snacks and meals. I’ve had several requests lately for healthy chocolate treats, so today I will give you two recipes I love. The first is not really a recipe, just an easy idea for a yummy treat. It is important to purchase the best quality dark chocolate you can find. I have located pure raw bars of dark chocolate with NO sugars at www.realrawfood.com. Other brands that I have found all contain some form of sweetener, even the organic dark bars. By purchasing the one with no sweetener you can choose which natural sweetener you like.
Dark Chocolate Treat
The addition of hemp seeds adds a scoop of protein, great fibre, and essential fats to this treat!
300 grams of organic dark chocolate, unsweetened if possible
1 cup organic brown rice krispies
1 cup raw cashew pieces
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1 cup hemp seeds
maple syrup, raw blue agave, or honey to taste
1. Melt chocolate in saucepan over gentle heat.
2. Add remaining ingredients except sweetener and stir to combine.
3. Choose sweetener of choice if your chocolate is unsweetened, and start by adding 1 tbsp. at a time until you feel satisfied with the flavor.
4. Pour mixture onto an oiled cookie sheet or onto a sheet with parchment paper and place in the freezer to set.
5. Break into pieces and store in glass jars in the fridge.
Yummy and healthy.
Variation: use any nuts or seeds of your choice. For school lunch snacks without nuts, use pumpkin, sunflower and hemp seeds.
How about Chocolate Chia treats? Chia seeds are wonderful additions to the diet, containing lots of protein, fibre and healthy fat. You may substitute the goji berries for dried blueberries or other dried fruit of your choice. This recipe is in Book 3 of What Your Doctor Doesn’t Tell You About Foods, to be released soon!
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp. chia seeds
2 tbsp. ground raw cacao nibs
3 tbsp. dried goji berries
1 tbsp. liquid honey or raw blue agave
optional: 1 tsp. maca powder
1. Melt coconut oil in a double boiler.
2. Add chia seeds and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3. Add ground cacao, goji berries, and sweetener, and stir to combine.
4. Pour into an oiled flat pan and refrigerate until set.
5. Cut into small squares and serve! ummmmmmmmm…..
You may want to triple this recipe and freeze some!
I’m happy to hear from you; if the recipes work for your family, and any ideas you have.
Take care, and enjoy your chocolate treats!
Author, Speaker & Registered Nutritional Consultant