Here is a recipe for some healthy peanut snacks for the Christmas season. High in protein, healthy fats and sweetener, and no unhealthy additives. Purchase roasted shelled organic peanuts for the best nutrition.
A recipe for sweet potato soup in Chef Michael Smiths Kitchen used a version of these spiced peanuts on top of the soup. I removed the sugar, and used dry roasted peanuts from the health food store instead of raw peanuts.
|Sweet and Spicy Peanuts|
4 cups dry roasted peanuts (the kind used for making peanut butter or organic if you can find them)
1 heaping tsp. chili powder
½ heaping tsp. cinnamon
½ heaping tsp. ground cumin
½ heaping tsp. ground coriander
½ heaping tsp. ground nutmeg
3 tbsp. butter or coconut oil
3 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. coconut sugar
1. Whisk spices together. Add coconut sugar and combine. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. In large saucepan bring honey and butter to a bubbling simmer on medium high heat.
4. Stir in the peanuts until evenly coated.
5. Spread on parchment paper in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake approximately 15 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally to brown evenly.
6. Place in a large bowl, add spices and coconut sugar and toss to coat.
7. Spread back on cookie sheet to cool.
8. Store in glass jars.
Serve as is for a snack or use on top of squash or sweet potato soup as a garnish.
Have a healthy Christmas!
Author, Speaker & Registered Nutritional Consultant