Why not simmer up a big batch of this great vegetable borscht for your good health this week? Beets are great for helping to cleanse the liver; make them a regular addition to your diet. This soup is so good with a dollop of goat cream cheese or yogurt, a splash of organic whipping cream or sour cream. It freezes well.
Vegetable Borscht (from Eat Away Illness page 194 see www.healingwithnutrition.ca )
5 cups shredded or diced beets
4 chopped onions
1 cup shredded or chopped carrots
2 cups shredded or chopped cabbage
2 cups diced potatoes
3 garlic cloves, diced
Small piece of sea vegetable such as wakame or kombu
3 tbsp. Seasoning – organic vegetable broth cubes, homemade seasoning or Bragg’s All Purpose Liquid Seasoning
Unrefined sea salt to taste
10 ounces tomato paste
1 tbsp. Dill weed
Optional: cooked chicken pieces or cooked white beans (legumes)
1. Place first seven ingredients in a large pot. Cover with filtered water or vegetable stock to 1” above veggies.
2. Bring to a boil, then simmer about 20 minutes.
3. Add seasoning, chopped parsley, salt, tomato paste and dill weed.
4. Stir well. Reheat and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add chicken pieces f desired for a heartier soup.
6. Serve with a dollop of cream or cheese (see above) if diet allows dairy.
This soup goes well with whole grain corn meal muffins.
Author, Speaker & Registered Nutritional Consultant