This yummy sweet potato loaf is full of nutrients! No guilty feelings for eating 2 slices! 2 cups of mashed organic sweet potatoes deliver a whopping load of vitamin A, as well as a good source of calcium and potassium. Sweet potatoes contain 2.5 grams of fiber in 100 grams, as well as the fiber in whole organic apple juice sweetened cranberries and whole grain spelt flour. I use my own dried organic orange zest for a chemical free flavouring, and organic eggs for a hint of protein. Substitute this for toast and jam anytime!
Stay tuned for my next Women’s Health Retreat!
Sweet Potato Loaf 1
SWEET POTATO LOAF
2 large eggs
1/3 cup melted honey
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ tsp. organic dried orange zest
1 ½ cups spelt flour (for gluten-free substitute 1 ½ cups buckwheat flour and 1 tbsp. guar gum)
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. allspice or mace
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup organic apple juice sweetened dried cranberries
1. Oil a standard bread pan and set aside.
2. Set the oven rack in the middle and preheat oven to 325 F.
3. In a medium bowl, whish the eggs, honey, oil, sweet potatoes and vanilla until well combined.
4. In a large bowl, mix the flour, spices, dried orange zest, and baking soda.
5. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the sweet potato mixture.
6. Mix until just moistened. Do not over mix or beat batter until smooth.
7. Lightly stir in the cranberries.
8. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
9. Bake 60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on a rack then invert on rack to allow to slip out of pan.
This loaf freezes well. Seal tightly to store.
Author, Speaker & Registered Nutritional Consultant