I know I have been lax in getting blogs up this summer, and have had many requests for this delicious brownie.
The benefits of sweet potatoes and avocados are many, mainly vitamin A in sweet potatoes, and the wonderful fat in avocado. Use organic eggs, and the nutritional profile goes up! If you are not sure of the value of eggs, read my article “Will The Real Egg Please Stand Up?” available in Book Three of What Your Doctor Doesn’t Tell You About Foods. You may order this book through my website, www.healingwithnutrition.ca, or download a pdf for just $7.99.
One of my fellow nutritional consultants passed this recipe on to me from wwwdraxe.com. I have made it repeatedly this summer, and served it to many people with rave reviews. If you are allergic to peanuts, then follow the recipe as it was passed on to me by Karen, or, if you like, use organic chunky peanut butter in the icing, as I have done. We love it! It freezes well, as does the icing. I have taken to making a double batch and freezing one, and also freezing extra icing for other uses. One of my favorite treats is to place small scoops of this icing in little fluted paper cups and freeze to serve as chocolates. Very good with a cup of peppermint tea. Who needs Crispy Crunch????
Sweet Potato Brownies
1 cup cooked sweet potato puree
1/3 cup applesauce or pureed bananas
1/4 cup honey, raw, unpasteurized
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
4 organic eggs
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tbsp. arrowroot powder
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp honey
1/2 cup almond butter (I used organic chunky peanut butter)
1/4 cup cacao powder
1/2 cup coconut milk (I used canned coconut cream, organic)
optional: Celtic sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Oil an 8 x 8 pan with coconut oil and line it with parchment paper. (do NOT skip this step)
3. In a bowl, combine avocado, sweet potato, applesauce or bananas, honey and vanilla. Once creamy, add in cacao powder.
4. Add in eggs one at a time.
5. In a separate bowl, combine coconut flour, arrowroot flour, salt and baking soda.
6. Combine both mixtures until smooth.
7. Transfer to greased pan and bake for 25 – 35 minutes.
8. While baking, combine the last 5 ingredients listed in a separate bowl and mix until creamy and smooth.
9. Once the brownies are done baking and have cooled, frost with this mixture.
With Organic Whipping Cream! Ummmm.
Author, Speaker & Registered Nutritional Consultant