Everyone wants to have sweet treats at Christmastime, right? Here is the answer to a decadent cookie that not only tastes great, but is very nutrient dense; in other words, REALLY HEALTHY!!! Made with freshly ground whole raw almonds adds the all important essential fat to our diet, as well as fiber and a host of minerals. Have them for breakfast! I believe I posted this recipe about 2 years ago, but continue to get requests, so here it is again.
You can make the filling ahead of time and refrigerate it or freeze it. The cookies are very easy to make, but need extra care in baking, as they burn very easily. This recipe comes from my book “What Your Doctor Doesn’t Tell You About Foods, book two.” I have no idea where the original idea came from, or how much I have adapted it.
Date Filled Almond Cookies
4 cups finely ground almonds
1/3 cup melted butter or ghee, cooled to room temperature
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. unrefined sea salt
1/2 cup liquid honey, cooled to room temperature
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Roll into small balls, or drop by teaspoon onto oiled or parchment lined cookie sheets.
- If the dough is firm, you may flatten the cookies with the back of an oiled teaspoon.
- Bake at 300 F. until golden brown, anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Cool on wire rack.
1 lb. pitted dates
1/3 cup water, or more to make desired consistency.
- Place water and dates in a saucepan and gently heat, stirring often, until a paste.
- Spread between two cookies.
For great stocking stuffers this Christmas, purchase one of the above books for $20, or download it for $7.99 at http://www.healingwithnutrition.ca.