I’m busy creating and collecting recipes for an upcoming Cookin’ in the Country day on Breakfasts to Balance Your Hormones. I love this one! For breakfast today I had two small soft boiled eggs and a slice of this Lemon Loaf with tea made with fennel seeds and lemon grass.
Lemon Loaf anyone? How about Lemon Loaf that is so healthy it helps balance your hormones, gives you essential fatty acids, vitamin C, and protein, to name a few nutrient dense benefits. Lemon Loaf sooooo healthy you can have it for breakfast, without feeling guilty! It also is easy to make, gluten-free, dairy-free and Paleo.
Recently I was at a dance and lemon loaf was served. I immediately decided I had to develop one that was healthy, and here it is. Adapted from recipes on the internet, with my own added flair.
- 1 1/3 cups ground raw almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (add 1 teaspoon extra for more lemon flavor)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk, or honey, warmed to liquid
1/3 cup organic lemon juice
1. Line a 1.5 quart loaf pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grind whole almonds, and place in a medium sized bowl.
3. Add coconut flour, sea salt, lemon zest and baking soda and combine.
4. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, honey, lemon juice, coconut oil and vanilla.
5. Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and stir until combined.
6. Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
7. Set loaf on a cooling rack while you make the topping.
8. Make topping: Combine lemon juice and coconut milk or honey.
9. Poke holes with a toothpick all over the top of the loaf while it is still in the loaf pan, and gently pour the topping evenly over all. When cool, lift parchment paper and loaf out of pan.
To serve, cut slices in half to prevent crumbling and enjoy!
In good health,