Savor this smooth nutritious soup in this frigid weather. It is -32 here today! I like to make lots of this and have it in the freezer. I sprinkle a few toasted slivered almonds on top and a swirl of organic whipping cream. Yum! Round out your lunch with egg salad on whole grain crackers. Vitamin A, protein, natural fats; a winner all around.
I grew these Waltham Butternuts in my garden last year.
Butternut Squash Soup
Thanks to Claire for this idea. I’ve added my own idea of spices, and I’ve tried it with Turban Squash as well. Still very good, but not as good as with Butternut.
2 tbsp. butter or ghee for dairy-free
2 small onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
32 oz. chicken stock
unrefined sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. cumin (used black cumin)
sprinkle of sea veggies
slivered toasted almonds
splash of whipping cream for garnish
- Melt butter or ghee and cook all veggies about 5 minutes in a large saucepan.
- Pour in some chicken stock and the herbs and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 40 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Return to pot, add remaining chicken stock to desired consistency.
- Serve with a sprinkle of almonds and a splash of whipping cream
Coming up in February will be a cooking day on Heart Health and a Women’s Health and Quilting Retreat.