Sooooo good on a cold day with hot soup! Replace bread or crackers with this healthier choice. I also like them reheated and spread with egg salad for breakfast. If you have leftover mashed potatoes, freeze them until you have the desired amount, and then Voila! quick muffins!
A big thank you to my friend Alandra who gave me the original version years ago; I recently had to unearth it, no easy task, but you know, Covid and all…….. looking for and at recipes has become a national pastime.
2 tbsp. Butter, mashed into
5 cups cooked potatoes (clean well and leave skins on)
2 additional tbsp. Butter
2 cups chopped mushrooms (I used re-hydrated mushrooms)
¾ cup chopped green onions ( I used re-hydrated green onions)
1 clove, garlic, minced, or more to taste
¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour (or whole grain flour of choice)
4 organic eggs, lightly beaten
4 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Unrefined sea salt
dash cayenne pepper.
1. Cook onions, mushrooms and garlic in 2 tbsp. Butter until liquid is evaporated.
2. Add to the potato and butter mixture along with the rest of the ingredients and mix until smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F.
4. Oil muffin tins and fill with mixture. Makes about 20.
5. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick emerges clean.
6. Cool on rack for 5 minutes before removing from pans with a sharp knife.
Note: May substitute grated carrots for part of the mushrooms. These muffins also freeze well.